Monday, June 09, 2003

Going Home

When I was going home one day
I saw a frail old lady picking cardboard boxes and
Lugging them along with her scrawny arms

When I was going home one day
I saw a crippled grandma selling unpolished jewellery
Calling for customers in her sepulchral voice

When I was going home on day
I saw a limby and shrivelled elderly woman
Hammering used drink cans with a brick in her skeletal hand

When I was going home today
A hunch-backed Ah Ma came up to me and
Asked if I would buy a packet of tissue

I unhesitatingly pulled out a note and some coins
Placed them gently on her wrinkled palm
Smiled, and walked on home with the tissue packet in my hand

When I turned back to glance and
Recalled all the things I saw on my way home every day
I thought to myself

Is there a home for them to return to?
Who will they be going back to?
I hope my small bit of help can get them back home safely.

No comments: